Current:Home > ScamsRory McIlroy shoots down LIV Golf rumors: 'I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career' -Capitatum
Rory McIlroy shoots down LIV Golf rumors: 'I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career'
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:32:08
Rory McIlroy maintains he's sticking with the PGA Tour following a report that LIV Golf offered him $850 million and an ownership stake to join the league.
"I honestly don't know how these things get started. I've never been offered a number from LIV and I've never contemplated going to LIV," McIlroy told Golf Channel.
"I think I've made it clear over the past two years that I don't think it's something for me. Doesn't mean that I judge people that have went and played over there — I think one of the things that I've realized over the past two years is people can make their own decisions for whatever they think is best for themselves and who are we to judge them for that? But personally, for me, my future is here on the PGA Tour and it's never been any different."
McIlroy doubled down on his commitment to the PGA Tour, saying he will spend the rest of his career with it.
"Over the last two years there's been so many rumors of guys — I think the one thing I've realized as well ... guys need to keep an open mind. I'm sure there's been players that are still playing on the PGA Tour that have talked to the guys from LIV and had offers and whatever. .... It's never even been a conversation for us.
"It's one of those things. It's unfortunate that we have to deal with it and this is the state that our game's in. But I'm obviously here today and I'm playing this PGA Tour event next week and I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career."
McIlroy's agent said there was "zero truth" to the rumors and labeled them as "fake news."
The four-time major champ had been one of LIV Golf's more vocal critics since its inception, going so far as to say last year that, "If LIV Golf was the last place to play golf on Earth, I would retire." McIlroy's stance on the Saudi-funded tour appears to have softened somewhat in recent months, however.
"I wouldn't say I've lost the fight against LIV, but I've just accepted the fact that this is part of our sport now," McIlroy said in January.
He added then he was "maybe a little judgmental of the guys who went to LIV Golf at the start, and I think it was a bit of a mistake on my part because I now realize that not everyone is in my position or in Tiger Woods' position."
He echoed many of those comments while speaking Tuesday with Golf Channel. His personal commitment to the PGA Tour, though, appears to remain firm.
veryGood! (76475)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Florida Fracking Ban Bill Draws Bipartisan Support
- It’s ‘Going to End with Me’: The Fate of Gulf Fisheries in a Warming World
- 2017’s Extreme Heat, Flooding Carried Clear Fingerprints of Climate Change
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- 2017’s Extreme Heat, Flooding Carried Clear Fingerprints of Climate Change
- Helen Mirren Brings the Drama With Vibrant Blue Hair at Cannes Film Festival 2023
- A sleeping man dreamed someone broke into his home. He fired at the intruder and shot himself, authorities say.
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Ariana Grande’s Rare Tribute to Husband Dalton Gomez Is Just Like Magic
Ranking
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- World’s Oceans Are Warming Faster, Studies Show, Fueling Storms and Sea Rise
- Pennsylvania Battery Plant Cashes In on $3 Billion Micro-Hybrid Vehicle Market
- What's a spillover? A spillback? Here are definitions for the vocab of a pandemic
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Ariana Grande’s Rare Tribute to Husband Dalton Gomez Is Just Like Magic
- In Spain, Solar Lobby and 3 Big Utilities Battle Over PV Subsidy Cuts
- Kayaker in Washington's Olympic National Park presumed dead after fiancee tries in vain to save him
Recommendation
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Government Shutdown Raises Fears of Scientific Data Loss, Climate Research Delays
Trump delivered defiant speech after indictment hearing. Here's what he said.
Demi Moore and Emma Heming Willis Fiercely Defend Tallulah Willis From Body-Shamers
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
State Clean Air Agencies Lose $112 Million in EPA Budget-Cutting
This winter's U.S. COVID surge is fading fast, likely thanks to a 'wall' of immunity
Elizabeth Holmes, once worth $4.5 billion, says she can't afford to pay victims $250 a month